Wednesday 22 August 2012

APOCALYPTIC FICTION: The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

Release Date: 07/08/12

SYNOPSIS:

THE ROAD - but with hope. Hig, bereaved and traumatised after global disaster, has three things to live for - his dog Jasper, his aggressive but helpful neighbour, and his Cessna aeroplane. He's just about surviving, so long as he only takes his beloved plane for short journeys, and saves his remaining fuel. But, just once, he picks up a message from another pilot, and eventually the temptation to find out who else is still alive becomes irresistible. So he takes his plane over the horizon, knowing that he won't have enough fuel to get back. What follows is scarier and more life-affirming than he could have imagined. And his story, THE DOG STARS, is a book unlike any you have ever read.


REVIEW:

To be honest this is a book that ended up on my TBR pile for quite a while as having caught The Road (the film not the book) and not having enjoyed it, I really needed to keep clear of something that I felt wouldn’t be up my street. Sadly for me, this has proven to be a huge error on my part as having finally sat down to make my way through this title I was not only surprised at how good it was but at how the lead character came to life in his brief passages for me as a reader.

Add to this not only a man facing a bleak future of emotional loneliness but it is a story of hope as well as love for the future. Its definitely something far away from the norm but the way that the author brings the prose alongside carrying the plotline really makes this book come alive. Finally add to this a solid supporting cast that you can believe in, a solid arc alongside wonderfully written prose and all in this has been a real gem.



No comments: